This is an easy, smooth gravy ideal for Thanksgiving, holidays or anytime you just need gravy. Really good solid gravy, Amazing No-Chicken Vegan Gravy.
This Gravy is amazing with:
- Classic Vegan Muffin Tin Stuffing
- Smashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Tofu Scramble Hash
- Lentils & Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
- Anything that wants/needs gravy
- Vegan Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No-Drain)
Like most Gravy, the longer you let it simmer, the thicker it will get.
I use a mixture of half low-sodium “no chicken” broth and half Better than bouillon “no chicken” vegetarian base. I’ve found that the salt level is where I want it this way. You could easily use just one or the other. If you use all low sodium, you may want to add more salt. Conversely, if you use all Better than bouillon “no chicken” vegetarian base you may want to use a lower amount of Better than bouillon.
Whatever you decide, I recommend using “no chicken” broth or base it’s a different flavor profile than regular veggie broth and it really makes a difference with this gravy.
I always use and recommend unfortified nutritional yeast. The fortified stuff can taste synthetic or vitamin-y. I take this B12 supplement instead of getting it through the nooch, because flavor. Both vegans and non-vegans may have difficulty getting enough B12.
Here We Go, Lets Make Gravy!
In about a 5 quart pot, melt the Earth Balance and whisk it with the flour. It will make a crumbly looking roux.
Then, add the 3 cups low sodium “no chicken” broth and the 3 cups water with 1 TBSP “No Chicken” Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian Base. Whisk and use a spatula to scrap the bottom so any flour roux bits dissolve into the broth.
Let simmer while you whisk together the miso, hot tap water, low sodium tamari, onion powder, black peper and nutritional yeast.
Amazing Vegan Gravy
- ½ cup flour I use AP you can sub Gluten Free flour if you'd like
- 2 TBSPs Earth Balance
- 3 cups Imagine no chicken low sodium vegetarian broth
- 3 cups prepared Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Vegetarian Base (3 cups hot water + 1 TBSP Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Vegetarian Base mixed together)
- ¼ cup mellow white miso
- ¼ cup hot tap water to mix with miso
- 1 TBSP low sodium Tamari or soy sauce for Gluten Free use Tamari
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup unfortified nutritional yeast I recommend unfortified, the fortified kind can have a synthetic taste.
- In about a 5 quart pot melt the Balance and whisk it with the flour. It will look like a crumbed roux, not a creamy roux.
- Then add all 6 cups of broth to the pot, stirring and scraping the bottom to avoid anything sticking with a spatula to dissolve the Earth Balance flour roux, let simmer and stir while you move on to the next step.
- Whisk white mellow miso with 1/4 hot tap water, then add remaining Tamari, onion powder and ground black pepper. Whisk it all together.
- Add the miso mixture to the pot and scrape the bottom of the pan with the spatula and whisk until it reaches desired thickness. You can turn up the heat, but be sure to occasionally scrape the bottom of the pan with the spatula and whisk, the gravy likes the whisking. The gravy will get even thicker as it cools. I cook mine for around 20 minutes.
- Enjoy, serve hot or store in fridge until you are ready to heat and serve.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.
Did you make this Amazing No-Chicken Vegan Gravy? What did you eat it with? How’d it go? Tell me about it in the comments below.