We sprinkle this Garlic Hempseed Parm on many things. I’ve even given it to a meat-lover who was excited about shaking it over his steak. It’s a wonderful smack of garlic and salt in your mouth and it’s a great flavor-rich topping.
Let’s Make 5 Minute Garlic Hemp Seed Parm a.k.a. Garlic Shake
It’s really quick and simple to make. You put minced garlic, salt, Brazil nuts, unfortified nutritional yeast, and half of the hemp seeds in a little food processor and pulse until it looks like sand.
Then you add the rest of the hemp seeds and pulse once or twice to give it some textural variance. Finally, you taste a pinch of it and add either more salt/garlic to dial it up or more hemp seeds to mellow it out. You might taste it and find it requires no tinkering, at all.
We add it to anything we would have put parm on before going vegan. Did you know that some parmesan cheeses contain cellulose? Did you know that cellulose is wood, sawdust? Just food for thought. Don’t get me started on human hair and feathers as dough conditioners in bread…
Anywho, 5 Minute Garlic Hemp Seed Parm a.k.a. Garlic Shake is great sprinkled on pasta, salad, or soup. You can use it to make garlic bread or stuffed mushrooms. Jazz up your hummus or shake it on whatever you’d like to yum-up. It adds not only salt, garlic and wow, but a little umami to boot.
We use it specifically on these things:
- No Boil Green Vegan Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells with Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce
- Google Chef’s Brussels and Kale Gnocchi (recipe coming soon).
- Kale Caesar Salad
- On Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms (yep, recipe soon I promise)
- Avocado toast, it’s phenomenal!
*On Banza Chickpea Rotini Pasta tossed with Earth Balance and a little crushed pepper (Yes, it’s Gluten-free, low carb, very tasty Shark Tank Pasta). There is something decadent about this vegan grown-up buttered noodle equivalent.
5 Minute Garlic Hempseed Parmesan a.k.a. Garlic Shake
- food processor (I recommend small or medium, bullet style)
5 Minute Garlic Hemp Seed Parm
- 1 TBSP garlic sometimes I use jarred minced garlic, other times I just throw in a few cloves without chopping
- 8 whole Brazil nuts shelled, raw, un-roasted, unsalted
- ½ cup divided hemp seeds (a.k.a hemp hearts) divided (half go in the food processor right away, the other half are lightly pulsed at the end)
- ¼ cup unfortified nutritional yeast
- ½ – ¾ teaspoon salt
- Set aside half of the hemp seeds, add all other ingredients to food processor and pulse until combined and sand-like.
- Add the remainder of hemp seeds to the food processor and lightly pulse once or twice. You want to combine the hemp seeds but leave them whole to give it a varied texture.
- Grab a pinch out of the food processor and taste. If you want it to be saltier or more garlicky, add more salt or garlic. If you want it to be less salty or garlicky, add more hemp seeds. Since this is a topping, my household likes it to be a hit of salt and garlic flavor.
- Store in the fridge.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links. I use all of the things I link to on Plant Test Kitchen and I link to them because I personally, highly recommend them.
Adapted from Kate Flowers, Raw Caesar Salad Freedom Food 1.0 – Raw Vegan Weight Loss.
Did you make this 5 Minute Garlic Hemp Seed Parm a.k.a. Garlic Shake?
What did you put it on? Tell me about it in the comments below.