This is a basic, easy quinoa recipe post. Quinoa is super easy to make. You can purchase this seed, sometimes referred to as a grain, in the bulk section or pre-packaged from most grocers.
Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. The Incas believed it was sacred. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
Nasa considers quinoa to be a perfect nutritious crop for space travel. Yep, it’s space food and so much better than astronaut ice cream.
I recommend Tri-color Quinoa a.k.a Rainbow Quinoa. It looks cool and it has more nutrition than plain ole white quinoa. Plain ole white is yummy too though.
For the water, I use half of the amount of No-Chicken Better Than Bouillon. In this case, 1 teaspoon because I am mixing it with 2 cups water. I want a little flavor, but I’m not looking to bring the salt.
We eat quinoa with:
- Oven Roasted Kebobs and Avocado Aioli
- Power Bowls (usually a combination of veggies, hummus, avocados, red cabbage, shredded carrots, and kale)
- With Indian food in wraps
- On smashed sweet potatoes
- In place of rice
Quinoa can be hot, cold or room temp. If you are having it in a salad, any temp is great.
If you don’t have broth or No Chicken Better Than Bouillon Base, you can make quinoa with one part quinoa and two parts water. Simply measure the quinoa, then add twice as much water, stir bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat, simmer covered for 20 minutes. You may want to add a little salt, but that’s personal.
- Pot with a lid
- Place all ingredients in a pot and stir to dissolve the better than bouillon, while bringing it to a boil
- Once boiling cover and reduce heat to low
- Let simmer, covered for 20 minutes
- Remove from heat, let sit covered for 10 minutes, and fluff with a fork. Enjoy or store in the fridge.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.
Did you make quinoa? How was it? What did you eat it with? Tell me in the comments section below.