Every time I make Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce a.k.a. Red Gravy, I’m reminded of two things simultaneously. Those two things don’t actually have anything to do with each other.
- My mom making this sauce, smelling the house up good, which inspired this vegan-ized version.
- The Godfather Trilogy. Part II is my favorite because I’m a sucker a good transformation story.
I cherish this recipe. Not only is it simple, but it’s also oil-free with lots of Lycopene and it’s full of rich, Old Country flavor. This sauce goes into my I could drink it — and maybe I have category. Judge not, drinking sauces and eating vegan batters make me feel alive.
“Leave the gun – take the cannoli.” Drink the sauce.
Vegan-ized Ingredients for Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce (Red Gravy)
For a Meaty Sauce
I use this sauce with:
- Stuffed Shells and Lasagna with Green Cashew-Fu Ricotta (a.k.a vegan cashew tofu ricotta)
- Banza Rotini Chickpea Pasta sprinkled with Garlic Shake
- Eggplant roll-ups (recipe coming soon)
- A dipping sauce for Polenta fries (recipe coming soon)
Freezing & Storing in the Fridge
I find that freezing this sauce works well. Freeze as airtight as possible to avoid freezer burn. I like thawing this for use in baked recipes. I often make a double batch so I have some left to freeze. To see double batch ingredient quantities in the recipe below, just hover over the servings and adjust it up to 20.
This is a great make-ahead item, especially because it tastes even better after it has time to sit overnight and let the flavors mingle. It’s a nice sauce to keep in the fridge and enjoy throughout the week.
Let’s make Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce
First, finely chop your white onion.
Next, place all ingredients in a large pot. To avoid spatter, make sure there is lots of room in the pot.
Then stir all ingredients until combined and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 and a half to 3 hours. It’s gonna smell so good in your house.
Taste and adjust seasonings to preference if desired.
Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce (Red Gravy)
- ½ cup chopped white onion 150 g
- ¼ cup Easy No Harm Parm or vegan parm of your choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon parsley flakes dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 18 oz tomato paste
- 48 oz water 2 & ½ cans if using an 18 oz can of tomato paste
- Finely chop the white onion.
- Place all ingredients in a large pot. Depending on how big your pot is you can double the recipe if you'd like. To avoid spatter, make sure there is lots of room in the pot.
- Stir all ingredients until combined and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 and a half to 3 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to preference if desired.
- Enjoy, store in the fridge or freeze.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.
Did you make this Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce a.k.a Red Gravy? Any additions or substitutions? Was it delicious? Tell me about it in the comments below.