Oil-Free Flaked Crab-less Vegan Salad uses chickpeas, hearts of palm, and vegan oil-free mayo to create a crave-worthy base for lots of different go-to meals. This Grilled Avocado & Vegan Crab-less Salad Wrap is a new favorite.
Oh yeah, that’s right: buttery tasting Ritz crackers are vegan! I love sitting down with a bowl of this and spooning it onto Ritz crackers. No, this post is not sponsored – I really enjoy Ritz crackers with this guiltless, sinful tasting treat.
In addition to being transcendent with Ritz crackers, I love this recipe in sandwiches (especially on a toasted vegan everything bagel like Killer Dave’s) and atop a nice spring mix of greens with tomatoes.
If you’ve read The Bell Jar and you love it when Sylvia Plath mentions crab-stuffed “alligator pears,” I highly recommended slicing an avocado down the center and loading it up with this flakey goodness. It’s a classy and luxurious experience. You can even enjoy your Crab-less Bell Jar with some Ritz crackers on the side for a genuinely Ritzy experience.
Some great toppers for this recipe include:
To recap, my favorite uses for Oil-Free Flaked Crab-less Vegan Salad:
- On a Ritz, yes these buttery crackers are vegan
- Make a sandwich or more specifically a toasted everything bagel sandwich
- Place a big scoop over mixed salad greens, top with halved mini tomatoes & broccoli sprouts
- Make your own “Bell Jar” slice an avocado in half, remove the pit, stuff the crab-less salad inside
- Meal prep, make it then use it for on-the-go lunches as any or all of the above dishes
This recipe uses Oil-free Mayo, this Mayo uses silken tofu and cashews, and it’s highly recommended. If you don’t mind some oil, you can use store-bought vegan mayo. If using store-bought vegan mayo, you may want to use a little less than I use in this recipe.
Let’s make Oil-Free Flaked Crab-less Vegan Salad
First, do a small dice on your onion and celery. I like to go small here, but if you are more into a rustic chop, it’s your salad, go for it.
Shortcut: Use a small food processor to chop the onions and celery.
Next, place drained, rinsed chickpeas and drained hearts of palm in the food processor. Pulse lightly until the texture is flaky and chunky. Be careful not to over-process, we want a flaked texture, not a creamy hummus texture.
Place the contents from the food processor and the rest of the ingredients into a medium or large mixing bowl. Then mix it all together with a spatula. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, or mayo as desired.
Chill and store, or eat some right out of the bowl.
Oil-Free Flaked Crab-less Vegan Salad
- Do a small dice on your onion and celery. I like to go small here, but if you are more into a rustic chop for your salad, go for it.
- Place drained, rinsed chickpeas and drained hearts of palm in the food processor. Pulse lightly until the texture is flaky and chunky. Be careful not to over-process, we want a flaked texture, not a creamy hummus texture.
- Place the contents of the food processor and the rest of the ingredients into a medium or large mixing bowl. Mix it all together with a spatula. Taste and adjust salt, pepper or mayo as desired.
- Chill and store, or eat some right out of the bowl.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Meal Prep: Ready-to-Go Meals and Snacks for Healthy Plant-Based Eating by J.L. Fields.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Did you make this? What did you eat it on or with? Any variations? Tell me about it in the comments below.